Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

I had a very rigorous Thanksgiving agenda that I planned on stringently adhering to. It was to proceed as follows:

1) Wake up circa 12:30pm
2) Make pancakes shaped like turkey parts [drumsticks, most likely]
2) Take bath
4) Begin drinking cranberry martinis
5) Find excellent movie on Hallmark Channel
6) Take an ambien after/during movie and pass out by 5:00pm

Well, something woke me up at 11am this morning. It was Jimmy Buffett's version of "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" and it was LOUD. My middle-aged neighbors and their adopted Russian toddlers were blasting some mix CD from their garage. If it helped them clean their house for Thanksgiving, that's great-- but... GOD. I spent the rest of the morning listening to their mix CD while I swept the floor and tidied up. Songs of note were Blondie's "One Way or Another," Smashmouth's "Can't get Enough of You, Baby," Gino Vanelli's "Love and Emotion," and the Violent Femmes "Blister in the Sun." To make matters worse, it was REALLY sunny.

The temperature today maxed out at 68 degrees, so I put off my plan and decided to take walk through my neighborhood.

It's still remarkably green here. In fact, I would call this "early fall."

Puffy green trees! Everywhere!

Sales! Everywhere! Even estates are up for grabs on Black Friday, here in Atlanta.

Pansies, in full bloom! I didn't have the heart to tell them that it's November and that they should be DEAD.

I saw lots of people on my walk, also enjoying the balmy weather. There were dog walkers, runners, porch readers, leaf blowers, gutter cleaners, and family strollers. For a brief moment I felt the slightest breeze of comfort-- see, there were plenty of people that ignored Thanksgiving! Then I realized that they were all probably Scientologists.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

http://www.tampabays10.com/inside10/talent/
reginald_roundtree.jpg
If it makes you feel better, Lena, this fucking Tampa Bay news caster showed up at my family's thanksgiving table and just started speaking in rhymes. My dad stabbed him with a gravy spoon.

Anonymous said...

you know, they could have been baptists too. my thanksgiving sucked. it included the most rotund woman I've ever seen (who is balding) and someone I like to call my EVIL stepmother. ohhhh thanksgiving. I missed you. next year lets cook together. oh, and also, then I got the stomach flu too.